Public Engagement Officer - Adams County School District 14 - Commerce City - CO
POSITION: Public Engagement Officer
LOCATION: Administration Building
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Adams County School District 14 is seeking an outstanding individual to lead a comprehensive communication and engagement program, internally and externally, to continually improve programs, services and the reputation of the school district. This includes serving as the liaison among staff, media and community members.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, language arts, marketing or related field.
- Proficiency with current technology, including social media, graphic design and website management.
- Ability to create positive, engaging relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead, create and complete effective communication planning that engages stakeholders in support of the vision, goals and needs of the district.
- Ability to serve as the Adams 14 spokesperson.
- Minimum of five years experience as a Communication or Engagement Coordinator, Public Information Officer, or comparable position in education.
- Demonstrated experience in development and administration of multifaceted public relations and engagement campaigns, including crisis management.
- Lead and grow the existing communication and community engagement team to increase stakeholder support of Adams 14 students, staff and families.
- Communications planning —Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate an overall public relations plan, setting annual objectives and planning budgets for meeting objectives.
- Effective and engaging communication with internal and external stakeholders—Serve as the public information liaison between entire school system and community at-large. Maintain open lines of communication with employees, parents, families, community organizations, local businesses and the media. Develop methods to effectively leverage technology to improve communication Districtwide.
- Electronic Communication—Supervise Video Production Specialist and meet regularly to discuss story ideas, contacts, interviews and locations. Ensure that critical issues are communicated via Channel 8, Vimeo and other online outlets. Plan, develop and coordinate all video programming for the District, including employee training, staff development, elections, marketing videos and other special requests, as needed. Write/review all scripts and facilitate video support. Develop training materials/videos, etc. for school district operations. Develop and implement a social media policy, in collaboration with the Director of Assessment and Technology and the Communications Specialist.
- Media relations—Serve as liaison between the District and the media, bringing an established network of connections with print, online and broadcast media contacts. Develop and distribute news releases, and proactively seek opportunities to highlight District innovation, celebrations and accolades. Act as official spokesperson for the District, and manage ongoing media updates, including but not limited to snow days, school closures and holiday announcements.
- Public relations counsel —Provide professional public relations counsel and assistance to the Cabinet and Board of Education. Anticipate problems and provide solutions. Counsel staff on crisis management with the media. Support the Risk Management Department with the development of a crisis communications plan. Serve as an advisor on the Superintendent’s Cabinet.
- Written communications—Prepare District publications, including writing, editing, photography, graphic design and layout to promote public relations efforts. Publications include brochures, PowerPoints, annual reports, school report cards, etc. Research and write articles and speeches for the Superintendent and governing board.
- Community engagement liaison—Develop ways to bring the community into the schools. Participate on task forces and other community committees on behalf of the District, including but not limited to the Education Foundation, the Economic Development Council and the District Accountability Advisory Council. Develop and coordinate the Adams 14 Volunteer Program and Senior Tax Rebate Program, and ensure volunteers are appropriately recognized.
SALARY: This position falls under Range 6 of the Administrative Salary Schedule. Adams County School District 14 is a direct deposit employer.
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: Until filled.
APPLICATIONS: All candidates must complete the District's Application for Administrative Employment. Apply online at www.adams14.org. For more information call 303-853-3201.
ABOUT THE DISTRICT: Adams 14, a nationally recognized leader in education innovation, is Colorado’s 23rd largest school district and serves more than 7,500 students annually. Nestled in the historic community of Commerce City, Adams 14 strives to ensure academic success for every student by providing highly effective classroom instruction, supplemental enrichment opportunities and parent/family collaboration opportunities. To learn more about Adams 14, visit adams14.org.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Per the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), the selected applicant shall be required to verify, within 72 hours of employment, their legal right to be employed in the United States. All contracts for employment of personnel shall be subject to approval by Adams County School District 14 Board of Education. Selected applicant must comply with all Adams County School District 14 Board of Education's policies, rules and regulations.
Inspire. Educate. Empower. Adams 14 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.